Monday, March 25, 2024

THE B.I.G. ARCTIC RESEARCH EXPEDITION

 

 
One thing that people are sometimes surprised to learn about me is that I want to take part in an Arctic expedition someday. In my collegiate studies, I have written about the region and how it is changing. I would really like to see the Arctic in its icy glory before it's gone.
 
B.I.G. Expeditions, as the photo above (and my hint) would suggest, stands for "Before It's Gone." As in the polar ice. As in what makes the region unique. As in one more thing that is quickly becoming a casualty of the changing climate. The B.I.G team has embarked on a series of expeditions to the Arctic and will be setting out on a trip to the Canadian Arctic next month.
 
The aims of this mission are clear:  "The B.I.G. Expeditions are not about ‘conquering’ this landscape or setting records. It’s aim is to make a series of ski journeys across different terrains within the Arctic region collecting as much information as possible in order to further our understanding of this most precious of environments - Before It’s Gone."

The all-female crew is a badass who's who in the expeditionary world. Some of the names listed you will undoubtedly recognize: Sadie Whitelocks, Julie Moniere, Edel Kieran, Dr. Laura Thomas, Andrea Fawell, Annabel Jackson Prow, Emma Ranger, Dr. Ulyana Horodjskyj Pena and Sophia Scott. Also last but certainly not least, the legendary Felicity Aston, MBE. See? A Badass who's who. 

More information, including how to track the expeditions can be found below:

https://www.bignorthpole.com/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment