Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Alaska: At Sea, Hubbard Glacier and a Mountie



In my mind, glaciers and Mounties are two things that were real, but were always a bit of lore.

After we got underway on the Radiance of the Seas, a ship in the Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (RCCL), I learned just how real both of those things were.

The morning of our first cruising day, I checked the activity schedule and saw a presentation by a Mountie...well, a retired one. "Mountie," is a nickname for a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Gord Jamieson wore the uniform for 2 decades. He was so steeped in this world, that he married a fellow Mountie...in 1974, the first class of female graduated from the training academy. 


I found the presentation to be interesting, and it prompted me to research the relationship between the RCMP and the Indigenous Peoples of Canada when I have some free time.

Later in the day, our Captain announced that the ship would be coming up to Hubbard Glacier. It was very large and quite frankly, I was rather awestruck.

Both Mounties and glaciers are very real, and very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment